21 August 2011

Mischief Managed.






Well, I realize that I start almost every blog similarly, but I can't believe that TWO YEARS have already passed.

Two years ago I was met at the Rome airport by my dad and Kyle Thompson, taken directly to the Italy-wide church retreat in Florence, and the immersion began. Then I couldn't know how many blessings I would receive, how many wonderful people and friends I would meet, how many unforgettable memories I would make, or how much I would change...but as I met the church members that first weekend, it did give me a glimpse of what was to come. And now it has become a bookend of my time here, as my last activity as a member of Avanti Italia was the August retreat.

Now it is strange to think back to that time when we were strangers...now that they are friends, camp buddies, family, teachers, students. I can't even begin to try to describe my experience here with words, but I hope that people will understand somewhat of what it was like by how much I've changed. I can say for a fact that I am a better person for having been here. I give credit for that to God, my parents, my students, the Italian church, my fellow avanti workers and all those here who have loved, encouraged and supported me, such as Robbie and Mona Shackelford.

It is such a bittersweet time to be leaving my life here, which I love. But I am also excited for the new experiences that are to come, and I will take my love of Italy and all that it has meant with me.

I know I also end my blogs similarly, but that is just because it has been so important to say. Thank you all for your support and encouragement throughout this time, which has made you as much a part of this work as it has me. May God bless you! Vi voglio bene!


Italiano:

Mi rendo conto che comincio ogni blog nella stessa maniera, ma non ci posso credere che sono gia passati DUE ANNI!

Due anni fa mio padre e Kyle sono venuti a prendermi dall'aeroporto a Roma, e sono stata direttamente portata al convegno d'agosto 2009 a Firenze. Così e' cominciata l'immersione. A quel tempo non riuscivo a sapere quante benedizioni riceverei, quante persone favolose e amici cari conoscerei, quanti ricordi indimenticabili avrei, quanto mi avrebbero cambiata...ma mentre stavo fra i fratelli quel fine settimana, avevo un idea di quello che potevo aspettare. Ora il convegno e' diventato un tipo di fermalibro, vedendo che il mio ultimo attività' con Avanti Italia/La Scuola Biblica e' stato il convegno d'agosto 2011.

Oggi e' strano pensare al fatto che in quei tempi eravamo estranei, ora che siete amici, compagni dal campeggio, insegnanti, studenti. Non riesco neanche a cominciare a descrivere la mia esperienza usando delle parole, ma spero che la gente ne capisca una piccola parte vedendo come sono stata cambiata. Posso dire senza dubbio che essendo qua sono diventata una persona migliore, grazie a Dio, ai miei genitori, ai miei studenti, la comunità' della chiesa di cristo, agli altri ragazzi dell'Avanti Italia, e a tutti quelli che mi hanno amata e incoraggiata, come Robbie e Mona Shackelford.

E' una cosa agrodolce, dover lasciare la vita qua che amo, ma sono anche pronta per le nuove esperienze che stanno per realizzare. Porterò con me il mio amore dell'Italia e tutto quello che mene rende così speciale.

So anche che i miei blog finiscono in una maniera similare, ma questo e' perche' viene detta una cosa importante. Grazie a tutti voi del vostro incoraggiamento durante questi due anni che ti rende una parte integrale del mio lavoro. Che Dio vi benedica! Vi voglio bene!

1 comment:

  1. Emily! I can't believe your two years have gone by either. Thanks for all the amazing work you did and all the lives you touched. I'm so glad we got to be teammates. Best wishes for your transition from these due anni da favola into whatever God has planned for you next!

    ReplyDelete