16 August 2010

Gone country…Italian style.

Well, I’ve done it. I’ve had a major breakthrough, and I’ve done it! I can now pick, handle, wash, cut, slice, dice, purée, and stew tomatoes - without feeling nauseous!

This may not seem like a big thing to most people, but I’ve had a lifelong hate-hate relationship with those red-skinned squishy things. Not really that big of a deal in America (free country), but in Italy – land of the tomato lovers – it’s a big deal. I’d say a good 90% of their meals contain tomatoes in some form or fashion – my own personal culinary nightmare.

I don’t want you to think that I’m so immature that I just REFUSE to this poor vegetable. I honestly try to taste them once every few months or so, just in case my taste buds have changed without my knowing it. I also think that I have a slight allergy, not just an aversion, towards them. But for Italy’s sake I try.

I owe my breakthrough to my current past time of house/garden/dog-sitting for Elizabeth Whatley, the director of Pepperdine’s study abroad program in Florence. She is gone for about a month to America, and I am here to keep an eye on things while she’s gone.

She has a beautiful old, restored villa in the Tuscan hills right outside of Florence, complete with garden, flowerbeds, a small stream running through the backyard and two chocolate Labrador Retrievers. I am responsible for watering and gathering the produce from her garden, as well as taking care of the two dogs – one four years old, and one FOUR MONTHS OLD. More to come about that at a later time.

And so, I have picked cucumbers (with glee), eggplant (ignorantly – who grows eggplant in America? I think I ate it twice before I came to Italy), and the dreaded tomatoes. So there I was, with about 40 fresh, ripe tomatoes on my hands, and absolutely no idea what to do with them. Normal people would slice them up with olive oil or mozzarella cheese for a light salad, put them over lettuce, eat them sprinkled with salt. No, no, and NO! I can only eat a tomato that has been good and cooked. So I cut those babies up, blended them together, and stewed them together for 3 or 4 hours, and I made homemade pasta sauce with things right outside my back door! It was the most delicious sauce I’ve had in my entire life. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment